When you have a new Salesforce Org setup for your company, there are some fields that default to being invisible in the Field Level Security settings. I am not sure why they default this way, but they do. Below is the list of fields that are invisible (even to the System Administrator) by default.
- Assets: Product Code, Product Description, Product Family
- Cases: Asset, Closed by Self-Service User, Closed When Created, Visible in Self-Service Portal
- Contacts: Do Not Call, Fax Opt Out
- Contract: Contract Name
- Events: Visible in Self-Service
- Leads: Do Not Call, Fax Opt Out
- Opportunities: Campaign Source, Private
- Tasks: Type, Visible in Self-Service
You can make these fields visible in your org by editing their Field Level Security settings. If you have questions about the purpose of these fields, check out the Help section of your Salesforce application.